The 63 Malaysians, including children, who have been stranded in Saudi Arabia since June after performing the umrah will be brought home next week.
Caretaker Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Abdullah said the group had overstayed and some were stranded in Makkah and others in Madinah.
“The government is making arrangements to bring them home. Discussions are ongoing with the Saudi ambassador in Kuala Lumpur and the authorities in Saudi Arabia to resolve the matter.
“The pilgrims were taken by a group to perform the umrah, but they overstayed in #Saudi Arabia, which resulted in problems.
“Wisma Putra has received confirmation that they will return home next week,” he said at a press conference at the service centre for the Indera Mahkota parliamentary constituency here today.
It was reported on Oct 8 that 63 Malaysians, comprising 28 adults and 35 children, were stranded in Saudi Arabia since June. They were taken to Madinah in March by tariqa group Naqsyabandiyah Al-Kholidiah to perform the umrah.
On another matter, Saifuddin said five Malaysians who were allegedly duped by job scam syndicates in Cambodia returned home yesterday, bringing the total number of job scam victims rescued to 269.
He said the group arrived at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport at noon yesterday and were handed to the police to assist in investigations.
“Based on our records, 453 Malaysians have fallen victim to job scam syndicates in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand.
“A total of 52 victims are awaiting deportation from the four countries.”
He said Wisma Putra was still tracking down 132 victims.
Last month, caretaker Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob gave an assurance that the government would bring back the Malaysians who are stranded abroad due to job scam syndicates.
The immediate past Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Zubairu Dada, …