Hajj 2023: All You Need To Know About The City of Makkah
Makkah is the blessed city which is the most beloved land in the sight of Allah (ﷻ) and the chosen location of His House, the Ka’bah. It was here that the final prophet and guide of the whole of mankind, Muhammad (ﷺ), was born and commenced his Prophethood.
Names for Makkah in the Quran
- Allah (ﷻ) has called Makkah by five names in the Quran: Makkah, Bakkah, Al-Balad, Al-Qaryah and Ummul-Qura.
- In Surah Al-Imran, Allah (ﷻ) states: “The first House [of worship] to be established for people was the one at Bakkah (Makkah). It is a blessed place; a source of guidance for All people.” [3:96]
Praise of Makkah by the Prophet (ﷺ)
- When the Muslims conquered Makkah. The Prophet (ﷺ) said,“Allah had made this city sacred the day He created the heavens and the earth and it’s sanctity shall remain until the Day of Qiyamah (Day of Judgement). Its thorns cannot be broken, its animals cannot be harmed and things fallen on its ground cannot be picked up unless with the intention of returning it to its owner or making public announcements (to locate the owner). It is also forbidden to cut the grass that (naturally) grows here.” [Muslim]
The City of Makkah
- The Prophet (ﷺ), sitting on his camel in the Al-Hazwarah market, addressed Makkah saying, “By Allah, you are the best land of Allah, the most beloved land of Allah to Allah. Had I not been driven out of you, I would not have left you.” [Zaadul Ma’aad]
Reward of praying in Masjid al-Haram
- The reward of prayer offered in Masjid al-Haram is multiplied many times. Jabir bin Abdullah (رضي الله عنه) narrates that the Prophet (ﷺ) said:“A prayer in this mosque of mine is better than one thousand prayers anywhere else, except for al-Masjid al-Haram. A prayer in al-Masjid al-Haram is better than one hundred thousand prayers (anywhere else).” [Ahmad]
- The Prophet (ﷺ) once remarked: “There is no city in which Dajjal will be unable to enter besides Makkah and Madinah. Every street will be lined with angels standing in rows to protect them.” [Bukhari]
Map of Makkah with the location of major landmarks
Location of Makkah
- In the time of the Prophet (ﷺ), camel caravans were a major part of Makkah’s bustling economy. Alliances were struck between the merchants in Makkah and the local nomadic tribes, who would bring goods – leather, livestock, and metals mined in the local mountains – to Makkah to be loaded on the caravans and carried to cities in Syria and Iraq. Historical accounts also provide some indication that goods from other continents may also have flowed through Makkah.
- Muslim scientists have provided evidence to show that Makkah is the true centre of the Earth, one argument being that unlike other longitudes, Makkah’s is in perfect alignment to magnetic north.
About Post Author
Click To Comment
Hajj 2023: BAUCHI SECURES MORE VISAS FOR INTENDING PILGRIMS
Press Release Bauchi State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board has secured more Visas for its pr…