Home Hajj News Medview Airline boss released on bail, denies alleged $900,000 Hajj ‘scam’
Hajj News - February 5, 2022

Medview Airline boss released on bail, denies alleged $900,000 Hajj ‘scam’

 

 

Hajj Reporters

 

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has released the Managing Director of Medview Airline, Muneer Bankole who was detained over alleged Hajj airlift funds ‘scam’ on bail.

 

The anti graft agency detained Mr  Bankole last Monday when he honoured its invitation over allegations of diverting 50 per cent of funds amounting to over $5 million paid to him for the airlift of pilgrims in 2019 by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria and the failure of his company  to execute the contract.

EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren confirmed that Bankole has been released on bail, adding that investigation into the allegations against him was ongoing.

No Scam over 2019 airlift contract

Meanwhile, the management of Medview Airline has said that there was no scam or diversion of funds meant for the 2019 Hajj airlift.

A statement signed by its Director of Business Development, Mr. Isiaq Na-Allah said the funds were utilized for necessary preparations including aircraft maintenance and payment to service providers.

Mr. Na-Allah,  pointed to the much touted $900,000, saying NAHCON paid the money directly to two service providers in Saudi Arabia namely General Authority of Civil Aviation ($400,000 and Taibah Airports Development Company ($500,000) on July 5, 2019.

“In spite of deft moves by some highly placed persons to frustrate the airline from the operations with late release of funds, Medview Airline airlifted 4,387 pilgrims from Kaduna, Yobe and Ogun States. The Pilgrims Boards in those states are living witnesses of the operation,” the statement said.

SIMILIAR STORY: EXCLUSIVE: Untold story of 2019 Hajj airlift that lands Medview MD in EFCC net

However, HAJJ REPORTERS had earlier reported how NAHCON paid 50% of the total contract sum as contained in the airlift agreement with Medview.

Our findings however, showed that the airline failed to position a single aircraft to airlift pilgrims throughout the Hajj operations for 2019.

HAJJ REPORTES exclusively reported that “Medview Airline had signed an Airlift Agreement in 2019 for the Airlift of pilgrims for a total contract sum of “US$8,897,663.63 (eight million, eight hundred and ninety seven thousand, six hundred and sixty three United States Dollars, and sixty three cent)”.

RELATED STORY: Medview Airline in financial trouble as Airpeace, Private Jets seize market share

The reports quoted a top official of NAHCON, who asked not to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the press on the matter saying “the Commission had paid Med-View Airline 50% of the total contract sum in line with the provisions of Article 4.2 (i) and part of 4.2 (ii) of the airlift agreement”

He also said “after failing to perform its contractual agreement, NAHCON was forced to draft Max Air and Flynas Airlines to ferry the pilgrims that Medview was supposed to airlift so that the pilgrims will not fail to enjoy the services they paid for”.

READ ALSO: EFCC Detains Medview Airline MD Over Hajj Fund ‘Scam’

We also confirmed that records at NAHCON shows Also that already and through the efforts of the EFCC, :an Advance Payment Guarantee (APG) issued by First Bank on behalf of the Airline with reference FBNLS/SP/0297/AOA/06/2019 dated 13th June, 2019  for the sum of  $4,448,831.08 ( Four Million, Four Hundred and Forty-Eight Thousand, Eight Hundred and Thirty-One United States Dollars and Eight Cents) only, is in the custody of the Accounts Department of NAHCON”.

About Post Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Check Also

Hajj 2023: Lagos commences sales of form Monday, fixes N2.6million as initial deposit

HC. Prince Anofiu Olarewaju Elegushi addressing the  intending pilgrims that could not per…