The SA Hajj and Umrah Council (Sahuc) said it is seeking legal action against accredited Hajj travel operators who failed to repay monies owed to pilgrims.
It said its action was merely to spur action, and not to cause hostility among any parties.
Last year, the annual pilgrimage (Hajj) to Makkah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), was suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic, with deposits (some full) already paid to travel operators, for packages inclusive of flights and accommodation.
The Hajj pilgrimage typically lasts for 10 days, however, South African Muslims tend to stay for a period of up to six weeks. The last pilgrimage commenced around July 28, 2020.
In a statement released last week, the de facto Hajj regulator, Sahuc, identified six accredited operators who have yet to fully refund the would-be pilgrims, known as Hujjaj, and said it would take legal action should this not be completed by February 20.
It said that the majority of Hajj operators however have refunded the Hujjaj.
The six operators identified are: Al Jeem Al Anwar Express Travel, Khidmatul Awaam Pilgrim Services, Nuris Travel, Yasmine’s Travel and Tours, Shafiq’s Travel and Tours and Rasool Travel Services.
Sahuc president, Shaheen Essop said: “The number of operators have not changed. Two operators are waiting for funds to come through from KSA. We still left them on the list, until it is resumed.”
Kwara State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board and its counterpart in Niger state…