Iran’s Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization launched the process of registration for those applying to take part in this year’s Hajj pilgrimage.
The Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization in Iran has launched the process of registration for those applying to take part in this year’s Hajj pilgrimage.
The organization said in a statement that applicants can sign up for Hajj starting on Wednesday.
It said those who had registered their names and deposited the cost to take part in the 2020 Hajj (which was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic) have the priority to take the pilgrimage this year.
The second priority is for those who had preregistered their names before April 2007 and if there is any capacity, it will go to others who preregistered later, it added.
Head of the Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization Seyed Sadeq Hosseini had earlier said 85,000 Iranians will participate in the Hajj this year.
That is according to the quota allocated to Iran by Saudi Arabia.
In 2022, Saudi Arabia received foreign pilgrims, including Iranians, for Hajj after two years of suspension due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Figures show some 1.2 million Iranians are on a waiting list for travelling to Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj pilgrimage.
They have been waiting for years for their turn.
Hajj is a pilgrimage to Mecca that every able-bodied and financially able Muslim is obliged to undertake at least once during their lifetime.