Yobe State Pilgrims Welfare Commission has said that no pregnant intending pilgrim will be allowed to travel for this year’s Hajj exercise from the state.
This was revealed by the executive secretary of the commission, Alhaji Bukar Kime in a telephone chat with Independent Hajj Reporters on Monday.
”We have already carried out pregnancy tests on all female intending pilgrims during registration and the same procedure will be repeated before the commencement of airlift
”Any woman found to now be pregnant will be refunded because the rules does not allow a pregnant woman to travel for Hajj due to the exigencies of the spiritual exercise, ” Alhaji Kime said.
The Executive Secretary had earlier on Saturday told Radio Kano that his commission had already completed the screening of 1200 intending pilgrims from the state.
He said that is why the screening was conducted at local government level, through a committee set up by state’s pilgrim’s board.
The E. S. said the commission is aware that some female pilgrims stayed away from the first round of medical screening.
He vowed that medical officials will conduct final test on even of departure for all those who missed the first one.
“Even if the woman was on board and tested pregnant, she wouldn’t be allowed to be airlifted to Saudi Arabia based on rules stipulated by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON), Mr Kime said.